Pages

Sunday, April 28, 2013

Calgary Comic and Entertainment Expo 2013

It is official I survived my second Calgary Expo and although I wondered if they could manage to do better than my first year I have to admit that this year blew it out of the water.  I will warn you know this blog entry is about to be filled with gushing and hormones but I want to not only share my memories but write them all down before I forget any of them.  In the span of three days I managed to do 8 photo ops, 8 autographs, 6 panels, a parade and experienced so much fun and excitement that I’m sure I have already lost some of it in the shuffle. 
 
The first thing I want to do is send a HUGE thank you to all the staff and volunteers that helped out and worked the Expo.  You guys are amazing and always do such a wonderful job.  I know your job is probably often time thankless and you probably see more than you fair share of cranky people but you are wonderful.  I know for me personally I had some very great interactions with some of you from random high fives while I waited for my Steven Yeun autograph, or the countless of you that I asked for directions, and of course the ones that I just got to chat with a little bit, you all helped to create a great experience for me and to keep me smiling.  Thank you from the bottom of my heart.
 
Expo this year was a whole new experience.  Compared to last year there were a lot of really great changes made.  Everything from adding more room by adding the Big Four building into the mix to having better labelled lines, it all seemed to make things run more smoothly.  (I have a small confession to make at this point and that is that I did have a VIP pass this year so my comparisons are a little skewed but since most people are saying the same thing I figure it must be true for most.)  I felt the energy of the place was a lot more positive this year, which also might have just been that my energy was more positive not having to spend as much time standing in lines.  heheh.  In all honesty though I really do think people were having a great time and there was a lot of love, excitement and enthusiasm filling the air.  For me the having more space as well as being able to easily and freely walk outside if need be helped the whole place feel less busy, less intimidating and less crowded.  It helped to keep my stress level down to a minimum.
 
As I mentioned above I did have VIP tickets this year and I have to gush (ok maybe brag might be a better word) at least a little about the experience.  As crazy as my schedule was this year I was able to do twice as much as I did last year.  Sure I still had to pick and choose and couldn’t do everything I wanted but I certainly got to do a whole lot of what I wanted.  As a scrapbooker I couldn’t help but be excited about the opportunity to get more photos and more autographs because that is what people ooh and aww over when they look at my books.  It is also what I get most excited about but mostly because looking at the photos or the autographs brings me back to those few seconds I got to be standing up close and personal with some of my most favourite crushes.  I knew right from Friday that I wanted to be able to do VIP again next year but it was sealed today when my heart was breaking thinking I wouldn’t be able to get into the very full Nathan Fillion panel but after a quick trip up to the VIP room we had someone lead us in through the back to make sure we were able to get to seats that were reserved for us.  I have never felt more grateful for something in the moment as I did then.  Part of that is also do in large part to the wonderful volunteers that were there to help us.  A huge thank you specifically to the VIP helpers.  It was great to know we always had someone to talk to if we needed help.
 
Now I warned you I would probably do some gushing well for those of you who don’t want to read it I suggest stop here because I’m about to start gushing.  The Expo was full of amazing good looking men (and women although I probably don’t give them nearly as much of my attention as I should) and I had some great experiences that I have to share.  If you are stopping here you should walking away knowing Calgary Expo is AWESOME!  The volunteers are AMAZING!  Everyone should go in 2014.
 
At first when I thought about what I wanted to write in this section I wanted to tell you everything but I have quickly realized that would make for a very very long blog entry.  I don’t think I’m nearly entertaining enough or witty enough after three long days to pull that off so I’m going to try and recount some of the most amazing moments.  I want to share those moments with you that moved me, excited me and had me squeeing inside.
 
One of the very first amazing moments was my autograph with Cary Elwes.  I have loved him for a very long time, in fact he was one of the three crushes I have had since I was young (the other two were Alan Alda from MASH and Dick Van Dyck from Mary Poppins if you are curious).  I LOVE Princess Bride.  It has always been one of my favourite movies and anytime I’m sick it is still the movie I love to curl up on the couch and watch.  I was excited and nervous to meet him and knew of all the autographs I planned I wanted to actually be able to say something to him (normally my shyness kicks in and I just blush).  As he finished signing my autograph I screwed up my courage and confessed that he was one of my first crushes.  He smiled and called me a sweetheart for saying that and I died a little inside.  It didn’t help that this was followed with a quick photo so he had his arm around me.  I was on top of the world as I left his table.
 
Another of my favourite moments is captured in a photo op.  I was standing in the middle of Richard Dean Anderson and Michael Shanks.  Of all the photos I did this one has the biggest smile.  I was so happy and excited in that moment.  It was only a few seconds but the smile in my photo says it all. 
 
Of course I can’t talk about photos without mentioning my chance to have my photo taken with Nathan Fillion.  It was quick because he had so many to do but he still smiled, asked my name, and shook my hand before wrapping his arm around my back and getting really close for the photo.  Let me tell you it was not a bad place to be standing right next to him like that.  I’m pretty sure my pulse jumped and temperature rose.  I wish the moment had lasted forever.  Oh and he also thanked me as I left.  That is something I love because so many of the famous people I have met don’t do that. The ones that do always stand out and that makes them all great.  Nathan Fillion is a class act.
 
I experienced a few completely random moments including some line dancing that broke out on the top floor of the Big Four but I will admit whenever I think of this Expo and the random stuff that happens when you are just hanging out one memory will pop into my head more than any I’m sure.  When John Barrowman came out Saturday morning for his autographs Casper Van Dien was with him.  When he went to leave the area he ducked down under one of the line barriers and when he stood up his backpack caught it and he knocked it down.  It was priceless to see him trying to fix it while making jokes at the same time.  It was hilarious and completely unexpected, which somehow I think is sort of standard for him judging by his many entrances into places. He has a loud personality and is certainly not afraid of having a good time.
 
There were also two moments that are special because they moved me.  In fact in both cases I had tears in my eyes.  The first of these two moments was in the Wil Wheaton panel.  A new mom asked Wil to record a message to her new baby, Violet about why it is awesome to be a nerd.  His response was powerful and moving.  It was full of acceptance and encouragement.  It was enough to make anyone want to declare that they are a geek or a nerd.  It gave me goosebumps. 
 
The other moment that moved me to tears was one I didn’t expect to affect me as much as it did and that was the moment when I had a chance to flip through the program guide and I saw my name with “contributing writer” printed in front of it.  I will admit some of the emotion may have come from the fact the first time I flipped through I didn’t see the article and I thought maybe it got left out after all.  When I looked a second time though I saw it right at the very front and as I re-read what I wrote I was filled with pride.  Even now thinking about it I’m getting emotional.  I have dreamed of seeing something I wrote published and there it was.  It wasn’t a long article and I’m still not sure it was a great article but it was pretty damned cool to see it.  Even better than that though was a little while later while sitting at a table I watched someone actually take the time to read it.  This moment was a dream come true and instantly I was happy that I was going to be able to share it with my Nan who is 94 and has always cheered me on because I wasn’t sure I would ever have anything published in her life.  On the flip side of that I also felt a loss at the fact I couldn’t share it with Will.  As wonderful as every other moment of the expo was I’m sure those memories will fade but this is one memory that will always be with me.  One day when hopefully I’m a much more published writer and someone asks me about the moment I was first published I will with pride and love be able to share this memory.  I can’t finish this part without throwing a thank you to Lindsay.  If you are reading this thank you for offering me the chance.  It means more to me than I know how to put into words.
 
I truly think this Expo was incredible and epic.  I’m so excited to start working on my scrapbook for it just so I can relive these moments and all the rest.  The last three days have been overwhelming.  Memories have been made and dreams have come true.  I am so glad to have had the opportunity to be a part of such a wonderful, caring, accepting and supportive group of people.  As judgemental as the world can be there is nowhere as accepting as a comic convention and I can’t imagine ever missing a year now that I have experienced the world.  I look forward to my third, fourth and twenty fifth conventions.
 
PS Stay tuned for my photo blog entry where I will share a handful of the photos from the weekend.

1 comment: